Question submitted via email: How do I find a job working from home in the HIM field? I am an RHIT with billing and health information experience.
Answer from Lauren Manson, RHIA: More and more HIM positions are being sent home to work these days! With so many facilities now using Electronic Medical Records, it is not necessary for many positions to remain onsite.
When looking for a work-from-home position, keep in mind the following:Most positions that are work from home will state that they are remote in the job description. Here are some HIM job categories that possibly are work from home positions:
- Many positions require the employee to be onsite for a period of time and then will later be sent home.
- Some positions are work from home part-time.
- Working from home has it perks; but it takes much self-discipline and focus to be successful. Working from home is not for everyone. An article titled REMOTE CONTROL: How to be a Successful HIM Telecommuter by Deanna Rasch was just recently published on the OHIMA Blog. This is a great resource for those who want to work from home!
- Coding and Billing
- Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI)
- Deficiency & Correction
- EHR Analysts
- Some operations positions
Check the OHIMA Career Center frequently for new job postings! It’s free for Job Seekers! Good luck finding a work from home position!
Do you have a question?? Ask an HIM expert! We will do our best to answer questions on any topic ranging from HIM, management, beginning your HIM career, CEUs, OHIMA, AHIMA, etc.! Submit your question HERE.